Dr. Bernstein Experience - 200 to 700 calories per day!!

I did the Bernstein diet for 5 days beginning last week. I am posting my results to help others who may wonder about the program.

​

My overall conclusion is that the diet is not at all balanced and not healthy at all. There was also a totally unhealthy focus on daily weigh ins and shaming.

​

I followed the diet rigorously unless otherwise stated. Diet allows 2 fruit, 2 veggies (230g) 2 protein (100g), and 2 'bread substitutes' (like melba toast items). All together you combine the 8 servings as you wish. There is no counting calories or carbs and the nurses discourage you from trying to figure out the nutritional content. I did not count calories until the end of the week to see what I had consumed. When I finally logged the food I was really upset at paying for this dangerous diet.

​

Day 1: My starting weight was 182lbs.

441 calories for the day. 54g of carbs and 45g of protein were included in the foods I ate.

​

Day 2: Weigh in 181.6.

230 calories for the day. 13g of carbs and 29g of protein. The nurse reviewed my food diary and did not say a word about the low calories I was getting. I would say this visit was the most positive visit I had with the nurse.

​

Day 3: Weigh in 180.2

620 calories for the day. 53g carbs and 68g protein.

​

Day 4: 178.6

488 calories for the day. 53g carbs and 51g protein.

By this time I was constantly starving and I felt really weak. I had started going to the gym this week as well and I was so tired.

​

Day 5: 180.6

It was Friday and the end of my first week on Dr. Bernstein diet. I woke up constipated and went for my weigh-in around noon instead of early like the other days. When I got on the scale the nurse looked disappointed. I was literally expected feel bad because I weighed in 2 pounds more than the day before. The nurse made me feel like I was a total failure. Then she tested my urine and I was still in Ketosis.

​

Overall I think this is a horrible system which does not allow enough protein. I could live with the low calories but its totally not acceptable to have these super-low protein levels.

​

This was an expensive and bad experience and it is not healthy at all.

​

​

​


-> Learn the easy way to loose fat


Comments